KYDEX sheet has excellent forming properties, which ends up in uniform wall thicknesses and crisp detail. KYDEX sheet forms to deep draws with low forces when heated to the upper end of the forming temperature range. Unlike many other thermoforming sheets, KYDEX sheet has unusually high resistance to hot tearing.
– Oven temperatures will have to be set otherwise than the settings used for ABS or FR-ABS.
– Typical heater settings (percentage timers) are 30% – 50% top heaters and 50% – 70% bottom heaters.
– The most frequent problem is attempting to heat the sheet too quickly, particularly on the primary surface.
– Cycle times will vary depending on the oven conditions and grade of KYDEX sheet being formed.
– When forming KYDEX sheet, it is better to rely on the sheet appearance All the way through heating than on fixed cycle times.
– Forming temperatures – Guidelines: (Sheet will have to not exceed 204°C (400°F).
165 – 177°C (330 – 350°F) for < 1.50mm (0.060").
182 – 196°C (360 – 385°F) for 1.50mm to 3.20mm (0.060″ to 0.125″).
196 – 204°C (385 – 400°F) for > 3.20mm (0.125″)
– Ideally the core sheet temperature will have to be within 10°F of the surface temperature.
Sheet Appearance All the way through Heating
As KYDEX sheet is heated, the inherent stresses in the sheet will loosen up.
• Stage I: The heating is marked by wide undulations and softening.
• Stage II: The material will start to form small ripples (referred to as oil canning). .
• Stage III: The material will start to smooth out and sag (KYDEX sheet will in most cases sag less than other thermoplastics as a result of its high melt strength. .
• Stage IV: The ripples will have smoothed out indicating that most stresses have been removed. 10 to 30 seconds afterwards the sheet is ready to form.
Higher breakage resistance than competitive thermoplastics as measured by the Notched Izod test
Some of the most rigid of thermoforming materials with a modulus of elasticity of 2,482 MPa (360,000 psi)
Easy to form with excellent part definition and deep-draw characteristics
Great for knife sheaths and gun holsters
Made in USA